Saturday, June 9, 2012

Entry 9: RE: "Snow White" - Full Disclosure

Posted by: Bradley Redder


Well, since this will likely be the last word on Snow White (though with all of your pestering attempts to side-step the movie itself, it feels a bit like the first word), I'll admit that my rating of the film was bumped up when I saw your lax 2.5 stars, shocking after reading your post-screening texts describing it as "a waste of money" and "boring crap." So I took my modest 3 star rating and elevated it to bring out the ire in you.

That said, I changed nothing in my review, and still feel that it was a solid summer movie (easily the best to date). I have to admit that don't really understand your complaint about the CGI. Maybe I'm just a little thick in the head, but you're essentially criticizing something you say you liked. I'm far from the world's biggest fan of CGI, but I think Snow White's use of it was much more elegant than a typical movie; rather than pit a bunch of animated characters against each other, whether giant, super-powered, robotic, or beast-like, it used it more in its backgrounds to shape and fill out its world. You say it relies on it completely, and I say you're mistaken. The Avengers relies on it far more than this film, and at least this one does, as you say, make it look cool. While I would have loved to see an actual set with natural light that looked this beautiful and inviting, at least I got that beauty in some form... Visual appeal/beauty being another element lacking in the CGI-laced Avengers.

Not to simply bring back your words on other films, but given that my reaction to this particular film is heavily influenced by its position as the first gratifying film of the summer, I'll continue doing so anyway. You praised Tim Burton's visuals in Dark Shadows pretty highly, yet for some reason decry the same use of CGI backgrounds in Snow White? What up with that?

Again, I'm not saying that it's not a legitimate complaint, and also again, I am increasingly upset by the strong reliance on CGI in movies these days, but I can't complain too loudly when it is used to such a visually appealing end as it is in Snow White, and I think the thoroughness of its beauty softened me up and put me on tilt to accept and genuinely care about its admittedly stock characters. And if that sounds like a condescending comment, it's really not, but is really said with the utmost admiration. The film is far from perfect, but very far from "boring crap."

No comments:

Post a Comment