Saturday, June 9, 2012

Entry 3: RE: "Snow White" - If it would please the court...

Posted by: Chad Van Alstin





The reason why my question matters, Bradley, is because I don't think Snow White would have ever seen the light of day if not for the Lord of the Rings films. This movie borrows so heavily from the formula set down by Lord of the Rings that it's impossible not to make a comparison; unless you always imagined Snow White battling trolls and sieging castles, army in tow.

Further, Lord of the Rings is the only real frame of reference we have when judging a fantasy film like Snow White. Your questions about the Godfather trilogy and Star Wars trilogy are far, far less relevant, as those are completely different types of movies. Their influence of each other is not obvious.

Basically, I think we need to put your review of Snow White into perspective -- how does this fantasy epic match up to others in the genre? I admit that, since most people with quality taste laud the Lord of the Rings, my asking is a little bit of a dirty tactic. However, I think it's still very relevant to the discussion nonetheless.

Look, there's a lot we can debate about with Snow White, but my brain is still having an incredibly difficult time wrapping itself around your baseless praise. I need a proper frame of reference; I need to understand where you're coming from.

So, is Snow White a better film than Lord of the Rings?



No comments:

Post a Comment