Saturday, June 9, 2012

Entry 8: RE: "Snow White" - CGI all up in here!

Posted by Chad Van Alstin




Of course it has CGI. I'm not opposed to CGI; I'm even known to occasionally love it.

My point was that Snow White relies entirely on CGI to push the film forward. Every scene seems to be about creating a cool looking effect, and it only sometimes succeeds.

It sacrifices story just to create some cool looking images. Let's face it, this is a fairy tale you can read in three minutes, and they stretched that story into over two hours, adding very little in the process. There's so much filler in Snow White, and all of that filler is just CGI for the sake of CGI.

I just don't see the emotional element here that you talk about in your review. There's nothing about this movie that even pushes a human element -- even falsely. Who am I supposed to empathize with? These are incredibly fictional characters from an age old story, and they haven't changed a bit.

The dwarfs look fantastic. However, I wasn't able to relate to them, or care about them at all. Their presence in the story helped provide familiarity -- nothing more. They added absolutely nothing to the story, and I don't think they were a necessary addition to the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment