Friday, May 11, 2012

Entry 5: RE: "Avengers" - It's all in the shawarma.

Posted by: Chad Van Alstin


Let's go back to this being a really fun movie, Brad. Did you stay until after the credits finished rolling? If you did, you would have seen our heroes eating delicious Middle Eastern sandwich pockets called shawarma.

In my opinion, it's a very clever scene. There is no dialogue whatsoever; our heroes just eat their mediocre food in silence. I read that the scene was filmed after the premiere, and was added just before distribution. It really made me laugh; it's an excellent way to close out the good time I had with The Avengers.

I really had no point to make here; I just now have an urge to try shawarma. 

Anyway, I think that's exactly what The Avengers was about -- entertainment. Where you're able to go see a James Bond movie and not be angered by the lack of an intricate plot, the same applies here. Where comic book heroes are a thing for nerds, this movie morphs them into something the general public will love to enjoy. 

May I add that I also disagree completely on the film lacking character development. What about Bruce Banner's acceptance of his green alter ego? Oh, and Iron Man's self sacrifice to save all of mankind. I'd consider that some significant character development. If the laughter didn't make me love the characters, these moments certainly did.

Is it an entire movie's worth of character growth? No. Again, that's what the individual films are for.

I want to point out that I don't feel the film has a central protagonist, and there doesn't seem to be a traditional flow to the plot and story. Again, that's really ok with me. The Avengers is all about the ride, and it's a damn fun one.

Still, I agree that we need some point of reference to latch our brains onto when we talk about the story in The Avengers. If you ask me what it's all about, I'd say the Avengers themselves. This film is about the creation of the team. It's an origin story, and should largely be viewed as such.

I stated in my review that I felt this film was a conclusion to the first chapter of the Marvel film saga. I stand by that statement. The origin of the team is the grand finale -- at least for now. If that isn't enough for you, I hope you at least had a good time. The Avengers sends good vibes from beginning to end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment