Saturday, May 12, 2012

Entry 11: RE: "Avengers" - Apples and Oranges


Posted by: Chad Van Alstin





Before I begin, I must confess that I spaced out during your Galaga post. I'm sorry that one line -- one single line -- in the film made you that upset. It's almost as if your taking very tiny things and attempting to make them into something much larger.

I'm going to put this criticism next to your Power Rangers comparison. For shame! However, your "GalaGag" pun was excellent. I will give you props for that.

I'd like to clarify that my original message about The Avengers being the best Marvel movie was only meant to include the films that were part of its series. I'm not necessarily willing to compare The Avengers to Spider-Man 2 because, like I said, they're very different films. At the time I was just curious if you enjoyed it as much as Spider-Man 2, since I know you're very fond of the film.

I also meant no offense to Mr. Obama -- I just think that's the dumbest Spider-Man cover ever, and the image fit in with my argument of the Spider-Man films being all about cheese. The character exploration in Spider-Man is quite superficial, and done in slight tongue-in-cheek, as tends to be Sam Raimi's style.  Again, this is not a complaint -- it's an excellent style choice for a film series about a high school superhero.

The scene you mention with Spider-Man losing his mask on the train is an brilliant scene, and it's made even better by the steady hand of Sam Raimi. The Avengers contains no scenes like this because, again, it lacks a single protagonist.

Comparing the Spider-Man films to The Avengers, pointing out what Whedon's film lacks by making comparisons to the plot of the Spider-Man films, is disingenuous for a couple of reasons. First, because The Avengers has a completely different tone, and lacks that single focus. Spider-Man 2 is a character study about a single person; The Avengers is about putting already developed characters together.

Whedon makes a choice not to focus on drama, growth, or in-depth character development. Where you may see this as somehow lazy, I don't agree at all. I don't have a problem with Whedon going straight for pure entertainment. It was a damn good choice.

Also, thank you for making me aware of Underdog. I spent hours watching the cartoons, and hope to receive the DVD movie in the mail soon. It looks like quite the adventure. He's a very cute puppy.

Look, everyone already knows that the heroes will win in every superhero movie they see. James Bond never dies, and neither do superheroes. So, your "underdog" point is moot. However, I will address it for the sake of fairness -- what the hell are you talking about!?

Did you miss the part of the film where Iron Man lost power in space and began falling to the earth like a rock? How about the scene where a nuke was about to land on New York? I was really enjoying the suspense from these moments. I even had a small sigh of relief when Iron Man ended up being alive.

I have a question for you: are the scenes I mentioned somehow less significant than Magneto's mutant-creating ball of-energy device that is about to hit the United Nations building (as seen in X-Men (2000))? Did the scene in Spider-Man 2 where Doctor Octopus captures Mary Jane really affect you more than scenes from The Avengers?

Crazy. They are all on the same scale -- we know how it will turn out, but audiences enjoy suspending their disbelief in order to enjoy the experience. You need to learn do the same -- consistently.

With such a well-crafted film like The Avengers, you should be able to watch it with the same suspension of disbelief you had when you saw Iron Man; unless you were really more convinced that Iron Monger was going to crush Tony Stark into dust.

I just want to drive this home once more -- The Avengers is superbly well directed and photographed. This is a gorgeous film to look at. It's fun; it's funny; it evokes emotions from the part of me that always loved the larger-than-life grandness of superheroes. That's exactly what it was going for, and it sold that package perfectly. If Avengers was trying to be something that it's not, I would share a lot of your distaste for the film.  


No comments:

Post a Comment