Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Entry 3: RE: "Raven" - Po(e)stponed

Posted by: Bradley Redder

I just wanted to quickly comment on the question you posed at the end of your post... Why Poe? It's an important question given how much this film failed him not only as a mystery writer but also as an actual historical figure. I had planned to address it in a later post. The short answer is yes, I think he was definitely tacked on to a lame script... There's no way this was originally intended to be a movie based on/about/featuring Edgar Allan Poe. We both touched on it in our reviews, but I think your observation nails it... It is exactly like putting a celebrity's image on an everyday product in order to make it seem cool.

So I'll put off answering in full for now and ask you a related question: which film would you prefer... The silly, goofy, fun movie that The Raven sometimes was and which I started craving halfway through this dud, or the moody, atmospheric thriller that it could have been had Poe actually been utilized as more than a character name?

And if you're wondering... There are plenty more Poe puns where those came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment